Dr. Vincent Giampapa Biography:
Dr. Giampapa has been a leader in the field of anti-aging medicine for over 20 years. He is one of the founding members of the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine as well as the first President of the American Board of Anti-Aging Medicine (the organization responsible for educating physicians in anti-aging medicine). Dr. Giampapa is world renowned for his leadership in natural hormone replacement, which focuses on using the body’s own physiological capabilities to improve key hormonal biomarkers of aging naturally-utilizing diet, exercise and supplementation.
After years of continual practice and newly found discoveries through scientific research and hands on experience in the treatment of natural hormone replacement therapy, Dr. Giampapa has now formulated what he considers to be the world’s biggest breakthrough in the history of natural HGH treatment, Secretagogue-Gold™.
Click question to see what Dr. Giampapa has to say.
Everyone naturally secretes HGH in their bodies from birth with levels reaching their peak in the body during adolescence, which then slowly decreases with age. As we get older, HGH continues to diminish to the point where the body makes a small fraction of what it did at the age of 20. This deprives the body of what it needs for tissue, bone and muscle regeneration. This depletion of HGH is soon recognized by the familiar signs of aging, such as increased body fat, lack of vitality and energy, decreased muscle mass, wrinkling of the skin, poor immune health and poor general health.
Researchers have shown that stimulating the pituitary gland to produce youthful levels of HGH can help rejuvenate the skin, increase lean body mass, promote energy production and build a strong immune system.
If you are between the ages of 35 and 70, your body is naturally producing only a tiny percentage of growth hormone than it was in your late teens. HGH secretion can decline up to 50% every 7 years after age 20. By the age of 60, HGH levels decrease by 80% from adolescent levels.
This systemic approach is broken down into three main categories:
- Pituitary/Hypothalamus stimulation to trigger the release of HGH
- Pancreatic regulation to optimize blood sugar and insulin, to augment HGH and also regulate glucagon and cortisol levels
- Hepatic (liver) nourishment and functioning for the conversion of HGH to IGF-1
Secretagogue-Gold™ utilizes a scientific blend of well-researched and extremely safe nutrients in their perfect balance to stimulate HGH release and at the same time suppress somatostatin, a secondary hormone which increases as we age and inhibits growth hormone release. By suppressing somatostatin, Secretagogue-Gold™ will further increase HGH production at the pituitary-hypothalmus axis.
An important factor to remember is that as insulin increases, another hormone called cortisol concomitantly increases as well. Cortisol has been dubbed the age accelerating hormone. It exhibits a number of negative effects on the aging process in general. High cortisol levels are directly linked to 11 major factors in aging.
- Collagen and elastin protein breakdown in skin, joint, bone and muscle tissue occur.
- Age related memory loss and changes to the nervous system.
- Decreased immune function.
- Increased pro-inflammatory signaling factors called eicosanoids and interleukins.
- Changes in how your produces and manages cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Body fluid retention (water retention).
- Decreased hormonal signaling capacity, especially insulin receptors occur. This also affects key receptors for testosterone, glucagon and the estrogens.
- Increased hypoglycemia and sugar cravings due to increased insulin levels.
- Changes to skin such as wrinkles, blemishes and changes to hair follicles and the strength and resiliency of your hair.
- Decreased cognitive function.
- Interrupted sleep patterns.
On the contrary, when blood sugar levels are low, the hypothalamus senses the condition and issues an order for the body to start using stored fat for energy. It does this by signaling to the pituitary gland. The pituitary gland executes the order by secreting HGH, which stimulates the process of fat burning. This usually happens at night when the stomach is empty or at any other time when the body is deprived of food, as in times of fasting.
1. DIET: Always pay attention to the amount of food you consume, your ratio of macro-nutrients and your food sources. Overeating is one of the main causes of accelerated aging. Eat controlled and sensible meals and don’t follow any extreme diet that permits you to overeat any one type of food. Regarding ratios and sources of foods, my patients have been experiencing very positive results by following a balanced diet where 45% of their calories come from low glycemic, slow burning complex carbohydrates, 35% of their calories come from high quality protein sources (poultry, fish, legumes and lean cuts of beef) and 20% of their calories come from healthy fats rich in essential fatty acids. This ratio helps to balance blood sugar levels by keeping insulin, glucagon and cortisol ratios where they need to be. Please see page 12 for detailed diet information.
2. SUPPLEMENTATION: Take clinically proven vitamins, minerals and herbs that assist the body in maintaining normal blood sugar levels. Secretagogue-Gold™ contains a special blend (Glycation Regulation Complex) of carefully selected nutrients that supports optimal blood sugar regulation and glucose tolerance. In doing so, Secretagogue-Gold™ also improves the balance of four very important hormones: insulin, glucagon, cortisol and growth hormone. Improving these key biomarkers of aging will optimize the aging process and improve the quality of your life and health span.
3. EXERCISE: Take part in a regular exercise program. During exercise, your body uses glucose (blood sugar) for fuel and improves your body’s use of insulin, both of which help to lower blood sugar levels. Exercise also controls weight and reduces body fat, which in turn, improves your body’s response to insulin. I usually recommend a moderate exercise program, but consult with your own physician before engaging in any exercise program. If you currently follow an exercise program, you are already on the right path. If you are not exercising or do not have enough time to get to the gym, I have outlined a very quick, simple and effective exercise program which you can follow at home. Please see page 17 for The Giampapa Anti-Aging exercise program.
Once HGH is produced and released into the bloodstream, it only remains active for a short period of time, carrying out its multiple functions for approximately 30 minutes-the amount of time it takes to reach the liver. After reaching the liver, HGH must be converted into IGF-1 and various metabolites to continue to promote growth and the nourishment and repair of cells, all of which are needed to rebuild tissues damaged by injury, illness or the effects of aging. IGF-1 works just like HGH, but it stays in the bloodstream for a longer period of time, carrying out the same health promoting benefits as HGH. For this reason, it is extremely important for your liver to be functioning optimally so that it may properly convert HGH into the longer lasting IGF-1 hormone.
Dr. Giampapa’s Prescription for longevity overview
Take Secretagogue-Gold™ before sleep, approximately 2-3 hours after your evening meal. The precise blend of ingredients in Secretagogue-Gold™ (naturally occurring amino acids and glandular extracts) aid in natural growth hormone release, while leaving the body’s normal GH release mechanisms intact. The additional new compounds in Secretagogue-Gold™, which enhance liver function and blood sugar stabilization, have been added to help with the conversion of HGH into IGF-1 as well as balance insulin, glucagon and cortisol ratios, all of which contribute to the positive effects of elevated growth hormone levels.
Try to eat in the 45/35/20 balanced ratio of food as much as possible with those food sources coming from low glycemic carbohydrates, high quality proteins and essential fatty acids. Avoid overeating and eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day. This will improve energy levels, boost your metabolism and stabilize blood sugar. Your evening meal should be high in protein content and low in carbohydrates. Eating in this manner will keep insulin levels low. Elevated insulin levels can block the natural release of growth hormone and the positive stimulatory effects of the components found in Secretagogue-Gold™.
Perform Dr. Giampapa’s 10-minute workout before going sleep to increase your natural HGH release, as well as to decrease your growth hormone levels before falling asleep. The combination of the 3 steps involved will help to utilize your body’s own natural mechanisms for growth hormone release resulting in the most effective program to augment the body’s anti-aging sense mechanisms.
* As an added benefit, do 20-25 minutes of aerobic exercise 3-5 times weekly in the form of interval training, which further helps decrease body fat levels, improving body composition as well as decreasing insulin levels throughout the day. This helps with limiting body fat deposition on a long-term basis.